THE GERONTOLOGY LAB
Dr. Jung Kwak
Bridging better lives for persons with dementia and their caregivers.
How Do You Make Decision
About Healthcare Treatment
For Yourself and Others?
We make decisions all the time. In fact, some estimates suggest that an average person makes over 30,000 choices per day! Some decisions are easy, sometimes made unconsciously, while some decisions are really difficult to make. Some decisions are of very little importance, while some decisions can have life-changing, or even life or death consequences.
At our lab, several research projects focus on healthcare decision-making. Specifically, the research projects focus on how persons with dementia and their family members make decisions about medical treatments, and communicate their values and preferences with healthcare providers. We also study how healthcare providers can help patients and families make informed decisions that are consistent with their values and preferences.
One project is testing a conversation workbook designed to help persons with memory problems or dementia, and their family members to engage in advance care planning (a process for people of any age or health status to talk and share with their loved ones and healthcare providers about what kind of care they want or don’t want to receive when they become unable to speak for themselves). Another project looks at competency standards for advance care planning from different health professional disciplines. Other project aims are to identify, describe, and examine the extent to which healthcare chaplains are engaged in facilitating advance care planning. A new project will examine social media data to identify, describe, and analyze information, value, and support needs among family caregivers of persons with dementia as they make important medical decisions on behalf of their loved ones.
Interested in joining our team?
We’re looking for undergraduate and graduate researchers!!
See Our Latest Updates
Please click on the links below in blue to access our latest updates. These can also be found in our “updates” page.
- Advance Care Planning Video Series Available Now
- Katherine Britt Publishes Op-ed on the Importance of Advance Care Planning
- Gerontology Lab Presents at Gerontological Society of America 2020 Annual Scientific Meeting
- The Gerontology Lab Welcomes New Undergrads Neha and Shilpa!
- First Lab Meeting of the Fall 2020 Semester!
- Advance Care Planning Video Series – Collaboration with WellMed Medical Group
- The Gerontology Lab Welcomes New Undergrads Camelia and Moon
- Aleena Jamal and Team Awarded Overall Best project at Health IPE Showcase
- Katherine Britt Receives Scholarships and appointment of Vice President of ANGs
- The Gerontology Lab has begun remote work in light of COVID 19
- Lisa Geshell and Aleena Jamal to present in virtual Interprofessional Health Showcase, hosted by UT Austin on May 1, 2020
- UNDERGRADUATES STUDENTS, ALEENA JAMAL AND ALBERT LUU PRESENTED POSTERS IN THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN’S VIRTUAL BRIDGING DISCIPLINES PROGRAM POSTER SESSION