Published or accepted Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles or conference preceedings
*Authored with student(s)
Advance Care Planning and Decision-Making with Persons with Dementia and Family Caregivers
Geshell, L., Kwak, J., and Radhakrishnan, K. (ACCEPTED).* Perspective and Experiences of Persons with Dementia with Advance Care Planning: Literature Review. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology.
Kwak, J., Xie, B., Champion, J., & Fleischmann (ACCEPTED). An Exploratory Study with Rural Dementia Caregivers in Southwest Texas: Advance Directives and End-of-Life Proxy Decision-Making. Journal of Gerontological Nursing.
Xie B, Champion JD, Kwak J, Fleischmann KR (ACCEPTED). Mobile Health, Information Preferences, and Surrogate Decision-Making Preferences of Family Caregivers of Persons with Dementia in Rural Hispanic Communities: A Pilot Study. Journal of Medical Internet Research.
Kwak, J., & Noh, H. (2018). What Matters to Persons with Dementia at the End of Life: Perspectives of Proxy Decision-Makers. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing (20), 5, 478-485. doi: 10.1097/NJH.0000000000000465
Xie, B., Berkley, A., Kwak, J., Fleischmann, K., Champion, J. D., & Koltai, K. (2018). * End-of-life decision making by family caregivers of persons with advanced dementia: a systematic review. Sage Open Medicine, 6: 1-9. URL: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2050312118777517
Noh, H. & Kwak, J. (2018). End-of-life decision making for persons with dementia: Proxies’ perception of support. Dementia, 17(4), 478-493. doi: 10.1177/1471301216648473.
Fleischmann, K. R., Xie, B., Champion, J. D., Kwak, J., & Koltai, K. S. (2018). * Human values and end-of-life decision making: Results from a pilot study of dementia caregivers. Forthcoming in Proceedings of the 81st Annual Meeting of the Association for Information Science and Technology, Vancouver, Canada (poster, 2 pages).
Kwak, J., Larwelle, J.A., O’Connell Valuch, K., & Kesler, T. (2016). * Role of advance care planning in proxy decision-making among persons with dementia and their family caregivers. Research in Gerontological Nursing, 9, 72-80.
Kwak, J., Wallendal, M., Fritsch, T, Leo, G. & Hyde, T. (2014). * End-of-life decision making preferences among surrogates of persons with Parkinson disease. Southern Medical Journal, 107(3), 17-185.
Advance Care Planning and End of Life Decision-Making with Diverse Cultural Groups
10. Kwak, J., & Ellis, J. (ACCEPTED). Factors related to advance care planning among older African American women: Age, medication, and acute care visits. Palliative and Supportive Care
11. Kwak, J., Cho, Y., Lee, Y., Noh, H., & Roh, S. (ACCEPTED). Differences in Advance Care Planning between American Indian and White Older Adults. Research in Gerontological Nursing.
12. Gao, X., Sun, F., Ko, E., Kwak, J. & Shen, H.W. (2015). * Perceptions and knowledge of end-of-life care in Chinese American elders: The role of acculturation. Palliative & Supportive Care, 13, 1677-1684.
13. Ko, E., Kwak, J., & Nelson-Becker, H. (2015). What constitutes a good and bad death?: Perspectives of homeless older adults. Death Studies, 39(7), 422-432.
14. Kwak, J., Ko, E.J. & Kramer, B.J. (2014). Advance care planning practice with elders of diverse ethnic backgrounds and needs. Health & Social Care in the Community, 22, 169-177.
15. Jang, Y., Chiriboga, D.A., Allen, J., Kwak, J., Salmon, J., & Haley, W.E. (2010). Willingness to use hospice among Korean American older adults. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 58, 352-356.
16. Kwak, J., Haley, W. E., & Chiriboga, D. A. (2008). Racial differences in hospice use and in-hospital death among Medicare and Medicaid dual-eligible nursing home residents. The Gerontologist, 48, 32-41.
17. Kwak, J., & Salmon, J. R. (2007). Attitudes and preferences of Korean American elders and caregivers on end-of-life care. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 55, 1867-1872.
18. Kwak, J., & Haley, W. E. (2005). Current research findings on end-of-life decision making among racially or ethnically diverse groups. The Gerontologist, 45, 634-641.
19. Kwak, J., Salmon, J. R., Acquaviva, K., Brandt, K., & Egan, K. (2007). Benefits of training family caregivers on experiences of closure during end-of-life care. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 33, 434-445.
20. Salmon, J. R., Kwak, J., Acquaviva, K., Brandt, K., & Egan, K. (2005). Transformative aspects of caregiving at life’s end. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 22, 188-194.
21. Salmon, J. R., Kwak, J., Acquaviva, K., Brandt, K., & Egan, K. (2005). Validation of the Caregiving at Life’s End Questionnaire. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 29, 121-191.
22. Allen, S. R., Kwak, J., Lokken, K. L., & Haley, W. E. (2003). End of life issues in the context of Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimer’s Care Quarterly, 4, 312-330.
pERSON-CENTERED CARE FOR PERSONS WITH DEMENTIA
23. Kwak, J., Anderson, K., & Oconnell-Valuch, K. (Published online June 1, 2018). Findings from a prospective randomized controlled trial of Music & Memory, an individualized music listening program for persons with dementia. Journal of Applied Gerontology. DOI: 10.1177/0733464818778991. URL: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0733464818778991
24. Maschi, T., Kwak, J., Ko, E. J., & Ko, E., & Morrissey, M.B. (2012). Forget me not: Dementia in prison. The Gerontologist, 52, 441-451.
25. Fritsch, T., Kwak, J., Montgomery, R. J. V., Lang, J., & Basting, A.D. (2009). * Impact of TimeSlips, a creative expression intervention, on nursing home staff and residents with dementia. The Gerontologist, 49, 117-127.
Caregiver Support Interventions
26. Kwak, J., Montgomery, R.J.V., Kosloski, K., & Lang, J. (2011). * The impact of TCARE® on service recommendation, use, and caregiver well-being. The Gerontologist, 51, 704-713.
27. Montgomery, R.J.V., Kwak, J., Kosloski, K., & O’Connell Valuch, K. (2011). Effects of the TCARE® intervention on caregiver burden and depressive symptoms: Preliminary findings from a randomized, controlled study. The Journal of Gerontology, Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 66, 640-647.
28. Montgomery, R.J.V., Kwak, J., Rowe, J.M. (2011). * Advancing social work practice with family caregivers. Indian Journal of Gerontology. 25, 553-575.
29. Montgomery, R. J.V., & Kwak, J. (2008). Tailored Caregiver Assessment and Referral (TCARE) process: An evidence-based model for effectively supporting caregivers. American Journal of Nursing 108(9), Supplement, 54-57.
Health and long-term Care policy
30. Kwak, J. & Polivka, L. (2014). The future of long-term care and the aging network. Generations, 38 (2), 67-73.
31. Kwak, J., Kramer, B., Lang, J., & Ledger, M. (2013). * Care management for frail elders at the end of life: A case study of Wisconsin Family Care program. Research on Aging, 35, 393-419.
32. Polivka, L., & Kwak, J. (2008). Medicare privatization and the erosion of retirement security. Journal of Aging and Social Policy, 20, 340-352.
Burton, A.M., Kwak, J. & Haley, W. E. (In press). Elder caregiving. In C. Spielberger (Ed.) Encyclopedia of applied psychology (2nd ed., Vol. 1, pp 703-711). Oxford: Elsevier
Burton-Chase, A.M., Kwak, J., Hennig, K., Haley, W.E. Elder Caregiving. In Reference Module in Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Psychology, Elsevier, 2017. ISBN 9780128093245.
Montgomery, R.J.V., & Kwak, J. (2016). Theories Guiding Support Services for Family Caregivers. In Bengtson, V.C. & Settersten, R.A. (Eds), Handbook of Theories of Aging. New York: Springer.
Kwak, J. & Collet, E.P. (2013). Diversity at the end of life. In Werth, J. L. (Ed.), Counseling clients near the end of life: Practical perspectives on fundamental issues. New York: Springer.
Kwak, J., Allen, J. Y., & Haley, W. E. (2011). Advance care planning and end-of-life decision making. In P. Dilworth-Anderson & M. H. Palmer (Eds.), Annual review of gerontology and geriatrics: Pathways through the transitions of care for older adults (Vol. 31, pp. 143-165). New York: Springer.
Haley, W.E. & Kwak, J. (2010). Gerontology. In Weiner, I.B. & Craighead, W.E. (Eds). The concise Corsini encyclopedia of psychology and behavioral science (4th ed., Vol. 2, pp.399-401). Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Branch, L.G., Evashwick, C. J., & Kwak, J. (2005). Clients of the continuum. In Evashwick, C. J. (Ed.), Continuum of long-term care (3rd ed., pp.15-28). California: Delmar Thomson Learning.
Kwak, J., & O’Connell Valuch, K. (2016). Music and Memory Program Evaluation: White Paper.
Kwak, J., Brondino, M., O’Connell Valuch, K., & Feay-Shaw, S. J. (2016). Evaluation of the Music and Memory Program among Nursing Home Residents with Dementia: Interim Report to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.
Kwak, J., O’Connell Valuch, K., & Maeda, H. (2016). Evaluation of Individualized Music Listening for Dementia Nursing Home Residents Using Accelerometers and MDS Dataset (Project Number 15765): Final Report to Bader Philanthropies.
Kwak, J., Brondino, M., O’Connell Valuch, K., & Feay-Shaw, S. J. (2015). Evaluation of the Music and Memory Program among Nursing Home Residents with Dementia: Quarterly Report to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.
Kwak, J. (2013). Cost-Effectiveness of Home- and Community-Based Programs in the U.S.: Review of the Current Literature. Report prepared for the Claude Pepper Center, Florida State University.
Montgomery, R.J.V., Kwak, J., Rowe, J.M., Jacobs, J., Lang, J., O’Connell Valuch, K., & Wallendal, M. (2010). Improving Options for Persons with Alzheimer’s Disease and Their Caregivers in the State of Georgia: Tailored Caregiver Assessment and Referral® Project Final Report. Prepared for the Georgia Division of Aging Services.
Kwak, J., & Kramer, B. (2009). End-of-life Care Coordination in the Wisconsin Family Care Program in Milwaukee County: A Case Study. Prepared for the Milwaukee County Department on Aging Care Management Organization.
Montgomery, R.J.V., Rowe, J.M., & Kwak, J. (2008). Tailored Caregiver Assessment and Referral TCARESM Project Progress Report. Prepared for the Georgia Division of Aging Services.
Chiriboga, D.A., Cho, S., Jang, Y., Phillips, K., Kwak, J. et al (2007). Racial and Ethnic Behavioral Health Disparities: Cultural Competence in Nursing Homes. Tampa, FL: Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute. University of South Florida.
Chiriboga, D.A., Kwak, J., et al. (2006). Disparities in the Pre and Post Admission Characteristics of Medicaid Beneficiaries Admitted to Nursing Facilities. Tampa, FL: Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute. University of South Florida.
Mitchell, G. E., Kwak, J., Chiriboga, D. A., & Haley, W. E. (June, 2006). Cost Savings Associated with End-of-Life Care: Comprehensive Analyses of End-of-Life Services Utilization and Outcomes among Florida Medicaid Beneficiaries. Prepared for Florida Agency for Health Care Administration.
Mitchell, G. E., Kwak, J., & Li, Y. (June, 2005). Hospice length of stay among Florida Medicaid consumers. Prepared for Florida Agency for Health Care Administration.
Mitchell, G. E., Li, Y., & Kwak, J. (June, 2005). Acute care and long-term care utilization reporting by contractors for the Integrated Long-Term Care Nursing Home Diversion program: January – December 2004 utilization experience. Prepared for Florida Agency for Health Care Administration.
Mitchell, G. E., Li, Y., & Kwak, J. (March, 2005). Acute care and long-term care utilization reporting by contractors for the Integrated Long-Term Care Nursing Home Diversion program: April – December 2003 utilization experience. Prepared for Florida Agency for Health Care Administration.
1. Kwak, J. & Haley, W.E. (Accepted). Differing Views of End-of-Life Care Among Major US Ethnic Groups. Postgraduate Institute for Medicine (PIM). Web lesson online.